- Spabunker IV
- Accident date
- Accident area
- Port of Algeciras, Andalusia
- Spill area
- Cause of spill
- Weather conditions
- Nature of pollutant
- Light fuel oil and diesel oil
- Quantity spilled
- 900 tonnes of light fuel oil and 100 tonnes of diesel oil
- Ship / structure type
On 21 January 2003, the oil barge the Spabunker IV, in charge of supplying fuel for the vessels in the Algeciras area, was caught in a storm. The adverse weather conditions caused a leak and, at around 4 am, the barge sank in waters 50 m deep with 1,000 tonnes of oil onboard (900 tonnes of light fuel oil and 100 tonnes of diesel).
The two crew members were rescued from the sea but the captain was reported missing. His body was found later that day.
The small amount of pollution which resulted was quickly controlled. Pumping operations and the refloating of the wreck were contracted to the British company Titan Marine, and were financed by the oil company CEPSA, the owners of the barge.
- Incident of Spabunker IV off the south of Spain , 21/01/03, European Commission
- Une péniche avec 1.000 tonnes de combustible coule à Algésiras, 21/01/03, Agence France Presse