Funded by the EU Civil Protection Mechanism (DG ECHO), the two-year project WestMOPoCo (Western Mediterranean region Marine Oil & HNS Pollution Cooperation) began on 2nd January 2019 under the coordination of the Secrétariat Général de la Mer (see Cedre Newsletter N°275, January 2019).
On 13th March, the project’s launch meeting was held at SGMer headquarters in Paris and was attended by all the project partners:
- IMO (REMPEC),
- OSPAR Commission,
- HELCOM Commission,
- ISPRA (Istituto Superiore per la Protezione e la Ricerca Ambiantale, Italy),
- the Commissariat National du Littoral d’Algérie,
- Transport Malta,
- the Secretariat of State in charge of Sustainable Development under the Ministry of Energy, Mines and Sustainable Development (Morocco),
- the Spanish Ministerio de Fomento,
- and the Tunisian National Agency of Environment Protection.
The meeting was a particular opportunity for Cedre to coordinate with ITOPF and ISPRA on the launch of preparations to draft the HNS response manual.